Thursday, December 11, 2008

Shaving Tip

This past weekend Amy and I went to St. Louis to do some shopping and at one of the malls we ran across this store called The Art of Shaving. It was a really cool store! They are dedicated to a very good shave. They have old time shaving products like the straight razor, the safety razor(invented in 1901), and the creams and brushes and stuff like that. Its like a specialty Pen store, the razors were like $150 and up. Well, about a year ago I found an old fashioned safety razor in my grandparents new house they were moving into and thought it was neat and kept it. I became very interested in shaving with it after being at this store, so on my way home tonight I stopped and picked up some new blades. I got home from a long day, hopped in the shower and went ahead and shaved with it. I was getting this amazing smooth feel I'd not had before, it was feeling great, then I decided to look in the mirror. HOLY COW, I looked like I should have been in some scary film with my face all cut up. There was a reason I was getting a smooth shave, it was taking every thing off my face!!! Well thankfully when I was at the store I bought a styptic pen in case I was to nick myself, really didn't think I would need it. So I grabbed it and started putting some on my face, well, I was really just rubbing the whole thing all over my face as fast as I could, oh my, that burnt like crazy!! The shave didn't hurt at all, that styptic pen, not using that again. Well, it didn't work, apparently it's only for nicks, not when your face is cut off. Sorry for the bloody towel honey. So, for all the men that want a close shave, go to a professional barber if you want this experience otherwise just stick with the Gillette Fusion. Also visit http://www.theartofshaving.com/ and buy your hubby something cool for christmas(just not a safety razor)!!

4 comments:

mantic59 said...

Don't give up on it yet! Like swimming, riding a bike, and dating, it takes some practice and there will be a few bumps along the way. The first thing to do is make a proper lather--nothing out of pressurized can! A brush and traditional lather soap or cream will give you a terrific shave, even with the Fusion. After you get the hang of lather, go back to your old Gillette: but remember there's no pivot! You need to be very careful of the razor's angle and pressure while you're learning how to use it. But after you get the thang of it you'll get astonishing saves! Check out my 'how to shave' youtube channel at www.youtube.com/user/mantic59, and the traditional shaving subculture at forums like shavemyface, badgerandblade, and theshaveden (all ".com").

trish said...

My brother went to that place in Vegas and had the nice clean shave...they use the hot towel and everything. I get weak in the knees when people mention blood, I barely made it through that post. Good luck with that new razor....I hear that they sell really nice disposable ones (hahahaha)
EM

trish said...

Oops, my mom opened an account the last post was emily stout

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, I was laughing all the way through imaging this! Makes me want to walk down the McAlisters just to see it...